The road to become a Data Scientist is paved with honing following skills:
- Coding Skills (Python or R)
- Logical Thinking
- Mathematics ( Statistics, Algebra and Calculus)
- Business Understanding
You need to work on top 3 skills until you finish your graduation. Business understanding comes with experience and reading books, case studies, research papers etc.
The best free resources to learn above skills :
- Choose your language of interest ( R or Python) and learn them. You can followLearning paths on R and Learning path on Python. Just google them, and check the first link.
- Learn Statistics – You can follow
- Learn Algebra, Calculus – You can follow and and and
- There are lots of MOOCs available on Python and R for Data Science. Take any of them. For example – For R, you can do Analytics Edge by edX.
- Look for internships in data science. There are many startups in India who are hiring interns. For example – Analytics Vidhya
- Participate in Data Science Competition – Hands on learning is the best way to learn data science. Start participating on Data Hack, Kaggle and evaluate yourself.
- Practice, Practice and Practice